El Camino Quilters January 2023 Lucky Block
New Year’s Star
El Camino Quilters November 2022 Lucky Block
A “Two-fer” Lucky Block
This is a fast, fabulous block to make two at a time
Fabrics – Batiks or Prints - think Nature J
Select two coordinating fabrics that are the colors of water– Blues, Aquas and Greens
You need two - 2½” by at least 40½” - WOF strips from coordinating colors to cut two complete blocks at one time. Jelly Roll strips are fine if they are 40½” or longer.
Colors - 2 Bright Colors in a Tone on Tone, Batik, or Print that read as one color. Any Colors you like.
Background – Black solid, Print, or Tone on Tone that reads very black
Cutting Instructions for 1 – Block (6½ unfinished)
Color 1 - (1) 3½”x 5” rectangle
Color 2 - (1) 3½”x 5” rectangle
Black - (2) 3½”x 5” rectangles
1. Lay a 3½” Black rectangle Right Side Down as in Fig A. Make a mark on the back 1½” over from the bottom left corner as in FIG A. Draw a diagonal Line from the mark to the top right corner as shown.
VIP The direction of the line is very important
2. Lay the Black rectangle horizontally over the Color rectangle right sides together as in FIG B and sew on the drawn line.
3. Trim the seam allowance to ¼” as in FIG C and press toward the Black.
4. Repeat with the other Color and Black rectangles.
5. Match the two units together as in the block at the top of the page. Sew and press the center seam open.
6. This is an easy block to make multiples of at the same time. Cut out several color and black rectangles. Match them up and sew, sew, sew!
Questions? Contact Laurie Paurazas